You can access this activity on Moodle from here.
Activity 1 – Defining ‘elevator pitch’
In order to prepare a good ‘elevator pitch’ Ss should know what exactly an ‘elevator pitch’ is and how to prepare it step by step.
- Ss are asked what they think an ‘elevator pitch’ is and after short brainstorming session in pairs they are asked to write their ideas using https://answergarden.ch; [10 min]
- T briefly comments on their entries; [10 min]
- Ss watch (as many times as needed) the introductory video of a TV programme called “Entrepreneur”:https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/316786 (0:00-0:55min) and answer the questions [15 min] Module 5-Task 1-Activity 1c INTERACTIVE OPTION available
- ‘That is the best pitch I’ve seen’ – Ss are told that they should always aim at the top quality and therefore they are shown one of the best pitches in the programme. Video: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/316786 (11:06-12:14 min) and do a gap filling exercise [10 min] Module 5-Task 1-Activity 1d INTERACTIVE OPTION available
- To make Ss remember key vocabulary from the example of an elevator pitch, T asks them to do the matching exercise [10 min] Module 5-Task1-Activity1e INTERACTIVE OPTION available
- Students are asked : What revolution are the Wooter Swim girls starting? and are encouraged to guess what the outcome of their elevator pitch was. Afterwards T plays the video (12:14 – 12:46) [10 min]
- Ss are asked to write in pairs their own dictionary-like definition of an ‘elevator pitch’. They put ‘sticky notes’ on a board and compare their definitions with the 3 definitions provided by T (from the business English dictionaries). Module 5 – Task 1 – Activity 1g [15’]
- T finishes the class with this short video Elevator pitch – what is it? summarising what an ‘elevator pitch’ is Module 5 – Task 1 – Activity 1h [1:15 min.]
To consolidate and extend knowledge gained in class Ss can read this text and do an additional vocabulary exercise (OUT-OF-CLASS) Module 5-Task1-Hyperlinked Text(WORKBOOK: 5.1)
Estimated timing for activity 1:
In class: 80 min.
Out of class: 20 min.